11232017Headline:

Tucson, Arizona

HomeArizonaTucson

Email Chrissie Cole Chrissie Cole on LinkedIn Chrissie Cole on Facebook
Chrissie Cole
Chrissie Cole
Contributor •

126 People Sick after Eating Salmonella Contaminated Hummus at Festival

Comments Off

Over 120 people who ate from the same food both at the Taste of Chicago Food Festival became seriously ill. Nine cases have been confirmed as salmonella poisoning.

As of Thursday, at least ten people were hospitalized due to the illness, said the health department.

The number of reported cases is expected to increase as more test results come back. The 126 people who became ill, all ate the Pars Cove Persian Cuisine booth, which served the contaminated hummus.

This is the first salmonella outbreak associated with the Taste of Chicago in over twenty years, said the health department. Pars Cove is cooperating with health officials to find the cause of the outbreak.

Officials are inspecting the restaurant and interviewing workers who handle the foods. The bacteria could have been transmitted from a food ingredient or by food handlers, officials said.

Salmonella can cause serious illness and in some cases be fatal, especially in small children or elderly people. If you have any symptoms or believe you may have eaten the contaminated food, contact your medical doctor so your case can be reported to the health department.